Code of Practice

The Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021

*Newlands College is a signatory to the Code and is compliant with The Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021.

When students from other countries come to study in New Zealand, it is important that those students are well informed, safe, and properly cared for. New Zealand educational providers have an important responsibility for international students' welfare.

Newlands College has agreed to observe and be bound by The Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and  International Learners) Code of Practice 2021 published by the Ministry of Education New Zealand. Copies of the Code are available on request from Newlands College International Office or from the NZQA website at Code of Practice.

Complaints - DRS:Disputes Resolution Scheme

If you have a complaint about Newlands College breaching the Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021, follow the school's formal complaint process first.

If this does not resolve your complaint, you can contact the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) by phone on 0800 697 296 or email [email protected].

Or, if it is a financial or contractual dispute, you can contact iStudent Complaints by phone on 0800 00 66 75. More information is available on the iStudent Complaints website:

Full details of immigration and visa requirements, and advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying are available through Immigration New Zealand and can be viewed on their website at

Eligibility for Health Services
Most International Students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If they receive medical treatment during their visit, they may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly-funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health, and can be viewed on their website at

Accident Insurance
The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but International Students may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at

Medical and Travel Insurance
Newlands College requires all International Students (including group students) to have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while in New Zealand, compliant with the Code. Proof of insurance must be presented at the time of enrolment and insurance documents must be in English. We offer insurance with ‘Uni-Care' who provide extensive travel and medical cover. Documentation is available from the International Office, or see Please note accompanying or visiting parents also need to have insurance compliant with the Code while in New Zealand.

Other Useful Links for Information on Living in New Zealand Newlands College (Curriculum, co-curricular activities, newsletter, calendar) New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NCEA, Code, DRS info) New Zealand Ministry of Education (Education system, Code) Disputes Resolution Scheme (Complaints) Educational Review Office (reports on schools) Studying, living and working in New Zealand Immigration New Zealand (visa, work and living in New Zealand) Info on the study, living and working in New Zealand Tourism New Zealand General info on Wellington city (dining, accommodation, events) Wellington City Council (General info on Wellington City, council library) Civil Defence, emergency preparedness Buses and trains timetables New Zealand Police (living in New Zealand, safety) Foreign representatives in New Zealand (Embassies, High Commissions and Consulates)

© 2024 © 2024 © 2024 © 2024 © 2024 © 2024 Powered by Rainbow Creative | 13 Jul 2024 | Admin